Catholic Youth Ministry Mission Statement: Under the mantle of Our Lady of Lourdes, this ministry works to form lifelong disciples of Jesus Christ and His Church by giving our youth the opportunities to discover, grow, love, and witness to the world The Way, The Truth & The Life of Jesus, His Church and His transforming power.
October 1st, 2019
We are beginning to prepare for one of the most important events in your child’s Christian life: The Sacrament of Confirmation!
The sacrament of Confirmation impresses a character and by it the baptized, continuing
on the path of Christian initiation, are enriched by the gift of the Holy Spirit and
bound more perfectly to the Church; it strengthens them and obliges them more firmly to
be witnesses to Christ by word and deed and to spread and defend the faith (can. 879).
This year at Our Lady of Lourdes, Bishop Kemme will be confirming all of our 8th & 9th grade students. The majority of your child’s preparation will take place within their Religion class at SMC. However, we are expecting your child to participate in a parish service day on Nov. 16th. Please note that Confirmation is a sacrament that, unfortunately, often gets overlooked. It is not a graduation from the faith, but rather it is the sending forth of disciples who have received the fullness of grace offered there by the sacraments. It is the exciting fulfillment of sacramental grace!
Confirmation is on Sunday, February 9th at 12:00PM (8th Grade) OR 4:00PM (9th Grade). Please note that it is an expectation of Fr. Jerome that your child be confirmed.
Requirements for the Sacrament of Confirmation:
1) Friday, November 1st- Confirmation Registration Form completed and turned into the Parish Office.
2) Saturday, November 16th- Service Day- 8am-12pm (Begins with 8am Mass).
3) 8th Grade Retreat- TBA (This will be held during school hours. Freshman retreat held in August will count as Confirmation retreat requirement).
4) Friday, January 17th- Sponsor & Saint picked out and turned into Allison McCormick (legible handwriting & correct spelling is a necessity).
5) Wednesday, February 5th- Confirmation Practice, Prayer, and Confessions- 8th Grade: 6:00pm-6:45pm—9th Grade: 7:00pm-7:45pm (Church)
6) Sunday, February 9th – 8th Grade Confirmation Mass – 12:00pm --- 9th Grade Confirmation Mass - 4:00pm
We look forward to assisting all the students in learning more about their faith and this great Sacrament, but also to help them deepen their relationship with the Lord. Please pray for all preparing to receive this Sacrament and please pray for all of us who are preparing your child for Confirmation.
With the love of Christ,
Fr. Labenz and Allison McCormick